Tuesday 12 October 2010

AMEE Summary

 
 

Sent to you by David Andrew via Google Reader:

 
 

via James Giles by jamesagiles on 11/09/10

Conferences can be so exhausting! It is quite an intense way to spend a few days – surrounded by a particular field. Els and I had the pleasure spending the conference with a third year medical student from Manchester – I won't include her name, as we had conversations about Facebook, Twitter and privacy!

My first conference was AMEE 2009, when I presented a poster with Ambrose Boles on the first PAL audit. I have really become immersed in the academic world this year, so much so that it is hard to see myself doing anything else. Els and I spoke to Rachel Lindley, a GP Teaching Fellow, at the conference about introducing other medical students to presenting at conferences – that first one is the hardest, where most support is needed.

I'd like to summarise some of the key things I took from AMEE:

e-Learning

Had an interesting conversation with Rachel Ellaway, the world's foremost authority on e-learning in medical education.  She had some fantastic insight into Fastbleep and where to take the work I'm involved in with Kurt and Rachel. Verdict on virtual patients? Less is more – fewer, simple patients are more effective than more complex patient scenarios.

Peer-Assisted Learning

I went to 2 PAL sessions, one poster and one short communication session. Els delivered the research presentations brilliantly in both. Most of the presentations focus on a 'novel' innovation in the field (inverted commas as it seems this adjective is necessary for poster acceptance).  The Manchester project stood out though as reaching beyond description of schemes into understanding this particular educational setting.

I was interested to hear a presentation from Sheffield Medical School about the Peer-Teaching Society, a different model to PAL Manchester. I'd like to collaborate with these guys on future evaluation projects – it would be good to see if using different models of PAL has any implications for the peer relationship.

Roll on November: Neuroscience 2010, San Diego, CA!


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment